Thursday, October 27, 2011

First Interview

Country report:

Geography:
Somalia is located on the east of Africa, which is bordered by Djibouti, Kenya, Gulf of Aden and Indian Ocean. "It has the longest coastline on the continent, with a seaboard that stretches more than 3000 kilometers.(1)" In addition, its total area of constitutes land is more than 600000 square kilometers, with more than 10000 square kilometers of water.

Location of Somalia (image source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:LocationSomalia.svg)


Climate:
"Due to Somalia’s location, which is near the equator, it does not have much seasonal variation in its climate, and the maximum temperatures of mean daily range from 30 to 40 °C.(1)" Although the weather is hot throughout all year-round, the relative humidity has huge difference between coastal regions (humid) and the hinterland (dry).

Animals in Somali:
Because Somalia is located in the tropical zone, Somalia is home to wild animals. It has a large number of birds and has over 170 species of mammals. It is also home to a variety of marine life, including the endangered dugong, manta rays, the Nile crocodile, black marlin, cheetahs, ostriches and so on.



Languages:
The official languages are Arabic and Somali, which is the mother tongue of the Somali people, and the second languages are English and Italian, which used to be a major language.

Religion:
Most of residents believe in Islam, which is the state religion. Less than 0.01% of Somalis are Christians. Islam is the monotheistic religion which is taught by Koran and Holy. And its adherent, called Muslims, they believe in the one and unique God, whose name is Allah. Muslims main purpose in life is to worship God, who sent many prophets to mankind, including Ibrahim (Abraham), Musa (Moses), Isa (Jesus) and so on, but ultimately, Muslims believe that the last message is sent to prophet Muhammad. Islamic law actually touch each level of somalia’s life and society, from diet to law. 30% of muslims are located in South Asia, and 20% of muslims in Arab countries. Most of the muslim countries are Indonesia. Nowadays, there are about over 15 billion muslims, so the Islam has already become the second largest religion in the world, which is considered to be the largest growth religion.

Muslims from all over the world to pray together. (image source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kaaba_at_night.jpg )

 Cuisine:
Somali cuisine is influenced by native Somali, Ethiopian, Yemeni, Persian, Turkish, Indian and Italian. Usually, they drink tea (shaah) to start the day, and the main dish in breakfast is pancake. For lunch, "which is an elaborated main dish, somalis often use spiced rice with cumin, cardamom, cloves and sage.(1)" In addition, pasta is also widely eaten, which is often served with a heavier stew than the Italian pasta sauce. Samalis often have dinner at 9p.m. However, during Ramadan, which is the ninth month of Islamic calendar, the regulations in Koran requires muslims must keep fast, and stop eating from sunrise to sunset, what’s more, they also need to pray before dinner, so sometimes they eat as late as 11p.m. after they are done with pray. During their dinner time, they often eat cambuulo. "Cambuulo, a common dinner dish, is made of beans mixed with butter and sugar. "(1)






Education:
Since the war in 1991, the schools in Somalia are almost closed, adult illiteracy rate has soared 76%. However, in recent years, there is a significant increasing in the number of schools, many areas begin rebuilding primary schools. What’s more, it aslo remains the basic system of traditional religious instruction in Somalia, such as Qu’ranic schools. "They provide Islamic education for children, thereby filling a clear religious and social role in the country. "(1)

New Mogadishu University campus

Economy:
"According to the data of CIA and the Central Bank of Somalia, Somalia has a healthy informal economy, which is consists of both traditional and modern production. About 80% of the population is nomadic or semi-nomadic pastoralists, who keep goats, sheep, camels and cattle. The nomads also gather resins and gums to supplement their income." (1)


Government:
In 2004, the Transitional Federal Institutions (TFIs), the key foundation government,was installed. The TFIs includes the Transitional Federal Charter (TFC), the Transitional Federal Government, and the Transitional Federal Parliament.




Work cited:


Preparations:

Due to the fact that I am interested in religion, and I am much curious about Islam, which is the second largest religion in the world, I also know Somali believe in Islam, so I prepare to look for some Somali to interview.
For this interview, I printed out three pieces of paper with 12 questions which we talked about in class, and then I borrowed a cell phone, which had a voice recorder inside, from my friend. In addition, I do some research about the background of Islam in case I can easier understand and talk with them.
Finally, I came to the library and looked for some Somali who are not very busy in doing something. Luckily, I found a Somali girl who was free and willing to be my interviewee, however, unfortunately, she said she didn’t want to be record, and it would make her awkward, so I wrote some key words on my paper instead of recording. Based on this interview, I got some ideas about how to interview people. What’s more, I also got some experience and prepared for my next interview. Then I found another interviewee, Fadumo, who was willing to be recorded. Then we start to conduct the interview.



Interview:

Interviewee: Fadumo
Interview: Qing Ren
Location: first floor of library
Time: 10/24/2011

Me: What’s your name?
Interviewee: I am Fadumo.
Me: And where are you from?
Interviewee: I am from Somalia.
Me: So are you international student?
Interviewee: No, I live here.
Me: Oh, when did you come here?
Interviewee: I came here 2006 and I like here.
Me: How about the weather in your country?
Interviewee: It’s different from here, and I like weather in my country, it’s sunny all the time and very hot, but in U.S. it’s cold, and has snow.
 Me: Then how about your education system in your country?
Interviewee: It is a little different, here you can choose whatever you want, but in my country, you don’t have much choice, even if I choose school by my own.
Me: why?
Interviewee: Most of them are religious schools, we receive religious education.
Me: So what’s your major?
Interviewee: My major is social work
Me: Why do you choose this major?
Interviewee: It’s kind of helping people , also getting money
Me: What do most women do after they get married in your country?
Interviewee: Some of them are house wife and others are working.
Me: What is the form of government in your country?
Interviewee: We don’t have one, and no government is working on it.
Me: How many language did you take in your country?
Interviewee: Two, Somali and Arabic.
Me: What places would you recommend to tourists?
Interviewee: Dubia, Indonisia, Japan, Kenya.
Me: What festivals do you celebrate in your country?
Interviewee: Eid, ramadan.
Me:  And what’s a traditional food in your country?
Interviewee: Sambosa.
Me: Oh, what does it made of?
Interviewee: It’s kind of egg rolls, which is made of egg, onion, papper…
Me: What is a type of sport in your country?
Interviewee: Soccer.
Me: How ‘s you religion in your country?
Interviewee: My religion is only Islam,
Me: So how is your culture influenced your family values, such as your religion?
Interviewee: Our values, religion keeps us together, we love and support each other
Me: Could you please tell me what makes you proud of your country?
Interviewee: My religion, people in my country have the same religion
Me: Could you tell more about your regilion, because I am interested in different countries’ religion?
Interviewee: My religion tells me that you have to be nice to the people and it makes me feel peace, we pray five times a day, we believe only one God, allah, we believe prophet Muhammad, he got the last message from God.

Me: Do you have a statue or picture at home, such as someone has a statue of buddha at home?
Interviewee: We don’t have any statue at home, we pray and read Koran every day.



Personal impressions report:

I was a little bit nervous when I interviewed my first interviewee. But after we introduced ourselves to each other, I felt more and more relax with the time goes on. During my first interview, I found that I had lots problems need to be improved, for example, sometimes, she didn’t feel like to talk more about information. Therefore, I need to come up with more questions to conduct her to talk more. I also found she was very proud of her religion. In this case, I could conduct them to talk more information about their interest, not just follow by twelve questions on the paper. Therefore, when I conducted my second interview, I changed my way to ask questions, I focused on talking about her religion when I asked her questions, and talked little about their government or something she didn’t want to talk more. According to this interview, I also thought I could improve some of my problems which I didn’t notice in my first interview. For instance, I could use some words to react my interviewee’s answer, such as ‘that’s good’, ‘I see’.  It could be not very awkward when my interviewee stopped talking. I will do better and prepare more for my next interview with these experience.  

No comments:

Post a Comment